Following its successful partnership with Dwayne Johnson for its Project Rock product line, Under Armour teamed up with the Mortal Kombat franchise for a footwear collection based on the popular video game.
What are the Under Armour x Mortal Kombat sneakers?
On January 17th, 2019, dubbed #MKDay, Under Armour unveiled six different custom designs on its Anatomix Spawn basketball shoes. Each design features an exclusive artwork of Mortal Kombat 11 characters Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Raiden, Sonya Blade, Skarlet, and Shao Khan.
These original hand-drawn designs were created by sneaker artist and MK Kollective ambassador Dan Gamache of Mache Custom Kicks. Gamache founded Mache Custom Kicks in 2004 after he became disenchanted with the designs and colorways that major shoe brands were putting out. Curious to see if he could come up with a better one, Gamache slathered different shades of purple on a pair of beat-up Air Max 90s in his basement, and just like that, Mache Custom Kicks was born.
Since then, Mache Custom Kicks has become one of the premiere custom sneaker designers in the country, giving shoe collectors and fans alike the chance to design their beloved shoes with their favorite pop culture properties. Previous designs created by Mache Custom Kicks feature Spider-Man, SpongeBob SquarePants, James Bond, Starbucks, and a lot more.
Are the custom Under Armour MK11 shoes available for sale?
Though these Mortal Kombat-themed shoes are undeniably beautiful, they were never released to the general public. Given their meticulous and time-consuming production, it was reported that some of these limited-edition sneakers have only popped up a couple of times on resale and bidding sites like eBay and StockX.
What are Under Armour Anatomix Spawn sneakers?
The Under Armour Anatomix Spawn sneakers were released in September 2013. They were the first basketball shoes to be released by Under Armour, and they were designed to be a lightweight and supportive shoe that could help athletes perform at their best.
The Anatomix Spawn sneakers were an instant hit with basketball players, and they quickly became one of the most popular basketball shoes on the market. They were worn by a number of NBA players, including Stephen Curry, Joel Embiid, and Dennis Smith Jr.
The Anatomix Spawn sneakers have been updated and improved over the years, but they remain one of Under Armour’s most popular basketball shoes. They are known for their comfortable fit, responsive cushioning, and durable construction.
The Anatomix Spawn sneakers feature a number of innovative technologies that make them stand out from other basketball shoes. These include:
- FlexGear: FlexGear is a woven material that is used in the upper of the shoe to provide a supportive and flexible fit. It is also designed to be breathable and lightweight.
- Micro G: Micro G is a lightweight foam cushioning system that is used in the midsole of the shoe. It provides responsive cushioning and energy return, which can help athletes to perform at their best.
- Anatomix Shank: The Anatomix Shank is a TPU shank that is embedded in the midsole of the shoe. It provides support and stability to the foot, which can help to prevent injuries.
What is Mortal Kombat 11 about?
Developed by NetherRealm Studios and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Mortal Kombat 11 is a 2.5D fighting game released on April 23, 2019, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows, and on May 17, 2019, for Google Stadia.
The game’s story mode takes place after the events of Mortal Kombat X and follows Raiden as he tries to stop the time-bending Titan Kronika from rewinding time and rebooting history. To do this, Raiden must team up with his past and future selves, as well as with other characters from the Mortal Kombat series, to defeat Kronika and her forces.
Mortal Kombat 11 features a roster of over 30 playable characters, including both new and returning fighters. The game also introduces several new gameplay mechanics, such as Fatal Blows, Krushing Blows, and the Kustom Variation system.
In addition to the main story mode, Mortal Kombat 11 also features a variety of other game modes, including:
- Towers of Time: A single-player mode where players must complete a series of increasingly challenging towers to earn rewards.
- Krypt: A single-player mode where players must explore a vast island filled with puzzles, traps, and enemies.
- Online: A multiplayer mode where players can compete against each other from all over the world.
- Klassic Towers: A single-player mode where players can play through the arcade ladders of classic Mortal Kombat games.
Mortal Kombat 11 was a critical and commercial success, selling over 12 million copies worldwide. It was praised for its gameplay, graphics, story mode, and roster of characters