Trekkies will learn more about Seven of Nine‘s past in the upcoming novel Star Trek: Picard: Firewall.
What is Star Trek: Picard: Firewall?
Officially announced on June 12th, 2023, Star Trek: Picard: Firewall is a novel currently being written by David Mack. Aside from being a prequel to the Paramount+ series Star Trek: Picard, it also serves as a sequel of sorts to the TV show Star Trek: Voyager, as it picks up a couple of years after Voyager‘s return to Starfleet space from the Delta Quadrant.
In a series of tweets, Mack revealed that Star Trek: Picard: Firewall tells the story of young Seven of Nine, having been denied a place in Starfleet, venturing alone into the galaxy to find her own identity and purpose in life. Seven’s journey leads her to join the rogue law-enforcement corps known as the Fenris Rangers — but embracing her new destiny might mean sacrificing the most important thing in her life: her friendship with Kathryn Janeway.
Mack shared that he’s halfway through the manuscript and he thinks the novel is going to be a really good coming-of-age story packed with adventure. Mack added that it’s a story he has an interest in tackling for a long time. “The moment I first heard Seven mention the Fenris Rangers I emailed my editor asking to write this tale,” the novelist tweeted. “It took 3 years to get permission.”
In a reply to a fan on Twitter, Mack made it clear that he wrote the story for the novel, consistent with facts established by Star Trek: Picard. “My story was vetted by, and adjusted to include feedback from, Kirsten Beyer, Co-EP & co-creator of PICARD,” he wrote.
Below is the official full synopsis for Star Trek: Picard: Firewall released by publisher Gallery Books:
“A thrilling prequel adventure based on the acclaimed TV series Star Trek: Picard! Two years after the USS Voyager’s return from the Delta Quadrant, Seven of Nine finds herself rejected for a position in Starfleet…and instead finds a new home with the interstellar rogue law enforcement corps known as the Fenris Rangers. The Rangers seem like an ideal fit for Seven—but to embrace this new destiny, she must leave behind all she’s ever known, and risk losing the most important thing in her life: her friendship with Admiral Kathryn Janeway.”
Star Trek: Picard: Firewall is the fifth installment in the Star Trek: Picard novel series. The first four Star Trek: Picard novels are as follows, alongside brief information for each one:
1. The Last Best Hope by Una McCormack (released on January 28, 2020): In the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus, Jean-Luc Picard has retired from Starfleet and lives a quiet life on Earth. But when a mysterious new threat emerges, Picard is called back into action to save the galaxy.
2. The Dark Veil by James Swallow (released on May 26, 2020): Picard and his crew race to stop a deadly new weapon from falling into the wrong hands. But as they get closer to the truth, they uncover a conspiracy that could destroy everything they hold dear.
3. Rogue Elements by John Jackson Miller (released on September 1, 2020): Picard and his crew must face a new enemy, one that threatens to tear the Federation apart. But as they get closer to the truth, they uncover a secret that could change the course of history.
4. Second Self by Una McCormack (released on January 26, 2021): Picard and his crew must rescue a group of colonists from a hostile planet. But as they get closer to the truth, they uncover a mystery that could change the course of their lives.
When will the Star Trek: Picard: Firewall book come out?
Star Trek: Picard: Farewell is scheduled for publication on February 27, 2024. But it is now available for preorder online at Amazon. The hardcover costs $26.99 while the Kindle version is priced at $12.99.
Based in New York City, David Mack is a multi-award-winning author of thirty-eight novels of science fiction, fantasy, and adventure. Particularly recognized for his work in the Star Trek universe, Mack is highly regarded for his intricate storytelling, rich character development, and ability to explore complex themes within the framework of established science fiction franchises.
Here are some notable Star Trek novels authored by David Mack:
- Star Trek: Destiny Trilogy: Comprising Gods of Night, Mere Mortals, and Lost Souls, this trilogy is considered one of the most significant Star Trek novel series. It explores a galaxy-wide conflict involving the Borg and various species, delving into the origins and destiny of the Star Trek universe.
- Star Trek: Section 31 Series: David Mack contributed two novels to this series focused on the secretive organization known as Section 31. Control and Disavowed delve into the covert operations and moral dilemmas faced by Section 31 agents within the Star Trek universe.
- Star Trek: The Fall Series: In this multi-author series, David Mack wrote the novel The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses. The series examines the aftermath of a major event in the Star Trek universe, exploring its impact on various characters and political dynamics.
- Star Trek: Cold Equations Trilogy: Consisting of The Persistence of Memory, Silent Weapons, and The Body Electric, this trilogy follows the character of Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. It explores his resurrection and subsequent adventures in a compelling storyline.
- Star Trek: Mirror Universe Series: David Mack contributed to the Mirror Universe novels, including Star Trek: Mirror Universe: The Sorrows of Empire. These novels delve into the alternate reality of the Mirror Universe, offering a darker and more treacherous version of familiar characters.
Outside of content creation for novels, Mack also wrote two episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and worked as a consultant on Star Trek: Lower Decks and Star Trek: Prodigy. Mack is also a video game writer. His video game writing credits include 1998’s Star Trek: Starship Creator, 2000’s Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – The Fallen, and 2001’s Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Dominion Wars.