Gotham Knights is not coming back for a second season.
On Monday, June 12, 2023, it was announced that The CW has canceled Gotham Knights after one season. The season 1 finale of the DC Comics-based drama, which is set to air on June 27, will now serve as its series finale.
Gotham Knights’ fellow CW freshmen dramas for the 2022-2023 season, Walker: Independence and The Winchesters, have also been canceled. Also included on the network’s list of recently cancelled shows are the martial arts series Kung Fu as well as the horror anthology series Two Sentence Horror Stories also got the axe.
The CW Network has only renewed four original shows for the 2023-2024 season. These are All American (season 6), Walker (season 4), Superman & Lois (season 4), and All American: Homecoming (season 3).
Why was Gotham Knights canceled at The CW?
The CW didn’t give an explanation for Gotham Knights‘ cancellation, but the network’s decision to not renew the series for a second season might be due to the following reasons:
The show premiered to low ratings and struggled to retain viewership throughout its first season. According to TVLine, Gotham Knights averaged 719,000 total viewers and a 0.1 demo rating (with Live+7 playback). Out of the 14 dramas that The CW aired this TV season, it ranked No. 8 in total audience and is in a nine-way tie for third (or, last) in the demo.
High production cost
In May 2023, The CW’s Entertainment President Brad Schwartz stated that Gotham Knights was one of the series that were not profitable directly for The CW and was more expensive than series imported for the network such as Sullivan’s Crossing.
The show received negative reviews from critics. As of writing, Gotham Knights has a 23% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 13 reviews, The critics’ consensus reads, “Never send amateurs to do a Batman’s job.”
Since the show is a CW production, Gotham Knights is aimed at a younger audience. So it’s not surprising that fans who were looking for a more serious or adult take on the Batman mythos were disappointed by the series. And even though the show has been praised for its diverse cast of characters, well-choreographed action sequences, and overall visual appeal, viewers have panned the series for its cheesy writing, slow pacing, and unoriginal plot.
The CW has been undergoing some major shifts since being sold to local television giant Nexstar Media Group in late 2022. Unlike the network’s previous majority owner, Nexstar is focused on low-cost and acquired programming, which led to the cancellation of several original CW shows, including Gotham Knights.
It is likely that a combination of these factors led to the cancellation of Gotham Knights. The show simply did not resonate with viewers or critics, and it came at a time when The CW is facing a number of challenges.
What is Gotham Knights about?
Not to be confused with the unrelated 2022 video game of the same name, the TV series Gotham Knights is developed by Natalie Abrams, Chad Fiveash, and James Stoteraux for The CW. Based on characters from DC Comics, the series follows Turner Hayes, a rebellious adopted son of Bruce Wayne who forges an alliance with the children of Batman’s enemies when the Caped Crusader is murdered. Together, this team of mismatched fugitives must become the next generation of saviors known as the Gotham Knights.
Gotham Knights cast
Below are the main cast of Gotham Knights:
- Oscar Morgan as Turner Hayes: Bruce Wayne’s adopted son and the leader of the Gotham Knights. He is a rebellious and skilled fighter who is determined to avenge his father’s death.
- Olivia Rose Keegan as Duela Dent: The daughter of Two-Face. She is a troubled young woman who is struggling to find her place in the world.
- Navia Robinson as Carrie Kelley: A young woman who becomes the new Robin. She is a skilled fighter and a dedicated member of the Gotham Knights.
- Fallon Smythe as Harper Row: A young woman who becomes Bluebird. She is a talented engineer and a skilled fighter.
- Tyler DiChiara as Cullen Row: Harper’s brother and a metahuman with the ability to control electricity. He is a kind and compassionate young man who is determined to use his powers for good.
- Anna Lore as Stephanie Brown: A skilled hacker and a former sidekick to Batman. She is a brilliant strategist and a valuable member of the Gotham Knights.
- Misha Collins as Harvey Dent: The district attorney of Gotham City and a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne. He is a kind and compassionate man who is determined to bring justice to Gotham City.
- Rahart Adams as Brody Mitchum: A student at Gotham Academy and the son of Lincoln March. He is a troubled young man who is struggling to find his place in the world.
The show also features a number of recurring characters, including:
- Damon Dayoub as Detective Renee Montoya: A police detective in Gotham City. She is a tough and dedicated cop who is determined to bring down the criminals of Gotham City.
- Lauren Stamile as District Attorney Solanger: She is the replacement for District Attorney Harvey Dent. She is an ambitious and ruthless woman who is determined to succeed.
- Ethan Embry as Cluemaster: A supervillain who is targeting the Gotham Knights. He is a sadistic and cunning man who enjoys playing games with his enemies.
- Sunny Mabrey as Crystal Brown: Harper Row’s mother. She is a kind and compassionate woman who is determined to protect her son.
Who produced Gotham Knights?
The TV series Gotham Knights was produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television and DC Entertainment. The show’s executive producers were Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, David Madden, Chad Fiveash, James Stoteraux, and Natalie Abrams.
Berlanti Productions is a production company founded by Greg Berlanti. The company has produced a number of successful television shows, including Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and Batwoman.
Warner Bros. Television, meanwhile, is a television production company owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment. The company has produced a number of successful television shows, including Friends, The Big Bang Theory, and The Office.
Lastly, DC Entertainment is the home of DC Comics, one of the largest and most popular comic book publishers in the world. The company has produced a number of successful television shows, including Smallville, Gotham, and Titans.
Where to watch Gotham Knights
Gotham Knights airs every Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET on The CW. The current season has two episodes left. The TV series is also streaming on The CW app, DirecTV, and Spectrum on Demand.