Warrior Nun, the beloved fantasy drama series that Netflix canceled after two seasons, is coming back from the dead, but in a different form.
Warrior Nun movie trilogy
On June 28, 2023, Warrior Nin creator Simon Barry took to Twitter to announce that the #SaveWarriorNun campaign has proven successful, revealing that the TV show is having a comeback.
“Today I’m happy to officially report that because of your combined voices, passion, and amazing efforts – #WarriorNun will return and is going to be more EPIC than you could imagine,” wrote Barry on the social networking site. “More details to come! SOON! Thank-you!! #SaveWarriorNun #WarriorNunSaved.”
Several fans and a number of news outlets presumed that Netflix had reversed its cancellation of Warrior Nun and ordered a third season of the program. But that’s not the case.
On August 15, 2023, in a video released by the YouTube channel Warrior Nun Saved, executive producer Dean English revealed that the resurrection of the series wouldn’t happen at its former home, Netflix. Instead, the story of the series will continue in a movie trilogy.
“I need to start by thanking all of you loyal fans,” English said at the beginning of the video. “It’s because of you and your incredible energy that we keep pushing forward to make these stories. You guys really make it all worthwhile. So thank you so much for your continued support.”
English then dropped the big news: “I am very happy to announce that Warrior Nun is coming back as a trilogy of motion pictures. Once again, a trilogy of feature films. Three.”
Due to the ongoing strikes in Hollywood, the cast and the creatives involved in the project were not announced. “One thing we need to touch on involves the strike in Hollywood involving actors and writers. And it’s due to that, that we cannot make any announcements today on that front,” explained English, who added that more announcements about the movie trilogy in the near future.
What is Warrior Nun about?
Based on the comic book character Warrior Nun Areala by Ben Dunn, Netflix’s Warrior Nun follows the story of Ava Silva, a young woman who wakes up in a morgue with a halo on her back and superhuman abilities. She is forced to join the Order of the Cruciform Sword, a secret sect of the Catholic Church that is tasked with fighting demons on Earth.
Ava is a reluctant hero, but she quickly learns that she has a destiny to fulfill. She must use her powers to protect the world from demons, and she must also come to terms with her own past and her new identity as a Warrior Nun.
What will happen in the Warrior Nun movie trilogy?
Plot details about the Warrior Nun movie trilogy are still under wraps, but since it is a continuation of the series, there are a few things we can speculate about based on the events at the end of show’s season 2.
- The war between Earth and Adriel’s realm: The season 2 finale revealed that Adriel (William Miller), the mysterious entity that Ava’s (Alba Baptista) Halo was created to contain, is still alive and well. He is currently trapped in another dimension, but he is planning to escape and bring his army of demons with him. This will likely set the stage for a war between Earth and Adriel’s realm in the movie trilogy.
- Ava’s powers and the Halo: Ava’s powers and the Halo are still a mystery. We know that the Halo gives her superhuman strength, speed, and healing abilities, but we don’t know the full extent of her powers. It’s possible that she will learn more about her powers in the film trilogy, and that she will be able to use them to defeat Adriel.
- Lilith’s transformation: Lilith (Lorena Andrea), the leader of the Daughters of Lilith, was transformed into a demon at the end of season 2. This transformation has given her immense power, and she is now a major threat to Ava and the Order of the Cruciform Sword. It’s possible that Lilith will be Ava’s main adversary in the movie trilogy.
- The future of the Order of the Cruciform Sword: The Order of the Cruciform Sword was severely damaged in season 2. Many of its members were killed, and the headquarters was destroyed. It’s possible that the Order will be disbanded at the beginning of the movie trilogy, or that it will be reformed under new leadership.
Warrior Nun movie trilogy cast
The cast of Warrior Nun movie trilogy has not yet been announced, but it is expected that most of the main cast from the previous two seasons will return. This includes:
- Alba Baptista as Ava Silva
- William Miller as Adriel
- Lorena Andrea as Sister Lilith
- Thekla Reuten as Jillian Salvius
- Kristina Tonteri-Young as Sister Beatrice
- Tristán Ulloa as Father Vincent
- Sylvia De Fanti as Mother Superion
- Olivia Delcán as Sister Camila
It is also highly likely that some new characters will be introduced in the movie trilogy.
Why did Netflix cancel Warrior Nun?
As mentioned above, Warrior Nun was canceled by Netflix after two seasons. The cancellation news was first reported by Deadline on December 13, 2022.
At the time, series creator Simon Barry took to Twitter to confirm that the show won’t be getting a third season. “I’ve just found out that @netflix will not be renewing #WarriorNun,” he wrote on the social media site. “My sincere appreciation to all the fans who worked so hard to bring awareness to this series, and for the love you showed me, the cast, and the whole production team. It was a privilege to be a part of this.”
Netflix didn’t explain why it opted not to order a Warrior Nun season 3, but according to Deadline, the performance of Warrior Nun season 2 ratings followed the pattern of other Netflix original scripted series that had previously been canceled as the streamer evaluates cost versus viewership for its renewal decisions.
Warrior Nun season 2 spent just three weeks in Netflix’s Weekly Top 10 for English-language series. For the week of November 7 to November 13, the Warrior Nun‘s second season ranked sixth with 26.22 million viewing hours. For November 14 to November 20, the show’s final season got the fifth spot in the ranking with 27.74 million viewing hours. And lastly, for the week of November 21 to November 27, Warrior Nun‘s second season ranked ninth with 11.97 million hours.
While those were promising viewership figures, those were apparently not enough for Netflix to shell out a huge amount of money just to produce a Warrior Nun season 3.
Prior to the cancellation, Barry was hoping that the series would run for up to seven seasons. When asked by Inverse in July 2020 about how many future seasons of the show he had in mind, the showrunner said, “Well, I wouldn’t say it’s a hard number. These things tend to reveal themselves when the story starts to feel like it’s building to a crescendo. You do want to find a point where you can wrap. With Warrior Nun, I would give it a window because we’re still so early in the process of developing it. Anything between five and seven seasons would be lovely.”
Where to watch Warrior Nun?
Haven’t seen Warrior Nun yet? The two seasons of the series are exclusively streaming on Netflix.