UPDATE (August 15, 2023): On August 15, 2023, in a video released by the YouTube channel Warrior Nun Saved, executive producer Dean English revealed that the resurrection of the series wouldn’t happen at its former home, Netflix. Instead, the story of the series will continue in a movie trilogy.
ORIGINAL STORY (June 28, 2023): Warrior Nun is coming back from the dead. Netflix has officially renewed the fantasy drama series for season 3, six months after initially canceling the show.
Will there be a Warrior Nun season 3?
Yes, there will be a season 3 of Warrior Nun. On Wednesday, June 28, 2023, series creator Simon Barry took to Twitter to announce that the #SaveWarriorNun campaign has proven successful.
“Today I’m happy to officially report that because of your combined voices, passion and amazing efforts – #WarriorNun will return and is going to be more EPIC than you could imagine,” wrote Barry on the social networking site. “More details to come! SOON! Thank-you!! #SaveWarriorNun #WarriorNunSaved.”
How did the Warrior Nun fans save the show?
In December 2022, it was reported that Warrior Nun was canceled after two seasons. At that time, series creator Simon Barry took to Twitter to confirm that the show would not be back for a third season. “I’ve just found out that @netflix will not be renewing #WarriorNun,” he wrote at the time. “My sincere appreciation to all the fans who worked so hard to bring awareness to this series, and for the love you showed me, the cast, and the whole production team. It was a privilege to be a part of this.”
Shortly after the news of the show’s cancellation broke, Warrior Nun fans launched the #SaveWarriorNun campaign, which included a Change.org petition urging Netflix to reverse the show’s cancellation and order a third season.
“Warrior Nun is truly a rare show,” reads a portion of the petition created by a fan named Sarah Manning. “It flawlessly blends an interesting plot, punchy action sequences, detailed world-building, complex characters, [and] commentary on the blurred line between science and religion together to create an incredible fantasy show, not to mention one of the best slow-burn ships (sapphic or otherwise) ever seen on tv. After the recent cancellations of other sapphic content (e.g. The Wilds, First Kill, etc.), a renewal would be extremely meaningful to a community that feels increasingly underrepresented and undervalued in current television media.”
As of June 29, 2023, the petition has earned over 123,000 signatures, and apparently, that’s enough for Netflix to reverse its initial decision to cancel the show and ultimately renew it for a third season.
Warrior Nun season 3 plot
Plot details about Warrior Nun season 3 are still under wraps, but there are a few things we can speculate about based on the events at the end of season 2.
- The war between Earth and Adriel’s realm: The season 2 finale revealed that Adriel (William Miller), the mysterious entity that Ava’s (Alba Baptista) Halo was created to contain, is still alive and well. He is currently trapped in another dimension, but he is planning to escape and bring his army of demons with him. This will likely set the stage for a war between Earth and Adriel’s realm in season 3.
- Ava’s powers and the Halo: Ava’s powers and the Halo are still a mystery. We know that the Halo gives her superhuman strength, speed, and healing abilities, but we don’t know the full extent of her powers. It’s possible that she will learn more about her powers in season 3, and that she will be able to use them to defeat Adriel.
- Lilith’s transformation: Lilith (Lorena Andrea), the leader of the Daughters of Lilith, was transformed into a demon at the end of season 2. This transformation has given her immense power, and she is now a major threat to Ava and the Order of the Cruciform Sword. It’s possible that Lilith will be Ava’s main adversary in season 3.
- The future of the Order of the Cruciform Sword: The Order of the Cruciform Sword was severely damaged in season 2. Many of its members were killed, and the headquarters was destroyed. It’s possible that the Order will be disbanded in season 3, or that it will be reformed under new leadership.
Warrior Nun season 3 cast
The cast of Warrior Nun season 3 has not yet been announced, but it is expected that most of the main cast from the previous two seasons will return. This includes:
- Alba Baptista as Ava Silva
- William Miller as Adriel
- Lorena Andrea as Sister Lilith
- Thekla Reuten as Jillian Salvius
- Kristina Tonteri-Young as Sister Beatrice
- Tristán Ulloa as Father Vincent
- Sylvia De Fanti as Mother Superion
- Olivia Delcán as Sister Camila
It is also highly likely that some new characters will be introduced in season 3.
Warrior Nun season 3 release date
Warrior Nun season 3 doesn’t have a release date yet, but if filming for the new season will start soon, it’s likely that fans will get to see the new season in early 2024.
How many seasons will Warrior Nun have?
Prior to the show’s initial cancellation, Warrior Nun creator Simon Barry said that he was hoping that the series would run for up to seven seasons. When asked by Inverse in July 2020 about how many future seasons of the show he had in mind, the showrunner said, “Well, I wouldn’t say it’s a hard number. These things tend to reveal themselves when the story starts to feel like it’s building to a crescendo. You do want to find a point where you can wrap. With Warrior Nun, I would give it a window because we’re still so early in the process of developing it. Anything between five and seven seasons would be lovely.”
What is Warrior Nun about?
Based on the comic book character Warrior Nun Areala by Ben Dunn, Netflix’s Warrior Nun follows the story of Ava Silva, a young woman who wakes up in a morgue with a halo on her back and superhuman abilities. She is forced to join the Order of the Cruciform Sword, a secret sect of the Catholic Church that is tasked with fighting demons on Earth.
Ava is a reluctant hero, but she quickly learns that she has a destiny to fulfill. She must use her powers to protect the world from demons, and she must also come to terms with her own past and her new identity as a Warrior Nun.
Is Warrior Nun worth watching?
Warrior Nun has been praised for its action sequences, its special effects, and its strong female characters. However, it has been criticized for its violence and its religious themes. If you are a fan of action-packed supernatural dramas with strong female characters, then you might enjoy Warrior Nun.
Where to watch Warrior Nun
Warrior Nun is exclusively streaming on Netflix.