Toymaker LEGO and video game company SEGA have teamed up for a new line of LEGO building sets based on the beloved Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.
The new LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog building sets
Unveiled today, April 19th, the new LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog collection lets fans play as Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Dr. Eggman in brick-form playsets inspired by some of the most iconic levels from the classic video game.
A follow-up to LEGO and SEGA’s highly successful LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill Zone set, which was released in 2021, the new LEGO Sonic product range is currently comprised of four building sets. These sets come in different sizes and complexity with modular elements inviting builders to create high-velocity obstacles for Sonic to blast through as he battles the Badniks and rescues his friends.
With the new LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog playsets, fans can get creative and construct their own unique courses. They also have the option to combine sets and invent new storylines, or reminisce their favorite memories with the franchise, as they challenge the Blue Blur to be the hero of the day.
All four LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog building sets come with all-new toy accessories, allowing fans to have unique role-playing opportunities where they can step into Sonic’s iconic red sneakers and spend time with his famous friends, hang out at the DJ deck, repair the Tornado plane, and more fun activities.
Below are the four new LEGO Sonic sets:
LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog Sonic’s Speed Sphere Challenge
- Ages: 7+
- Pieces: 292
- Measurements: The speed sphere launcher measures over 1.5 in. (4 cm) high, 5.5 in. (14 cm) wide, and 2 in. (5 cm) deep
- 3 characters and accessories: The set comes with Sonic the Hedgehog, the iconic Moto bug Badnik, Sonic’s Flicky friend, and lots of accessories for role play
- Price: $34.99
LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog Tails’ Workshop and Tornado Plane
- Ages: 6+
- Pieces: 376
- Measurements: The workshop measures over 3.5 in. (9 cm) high, 5 in. (12 cm) wide, and 3.5 in. (9 cm) deep
- 4 characters and accessories: This action playset comes with characters Sonic, Tails, a Clucky, Buzz Bomber, and lots of toy accessories for role play
- Price: $39.99 USD
LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog Amy’s Animal Rescue Island
- Ages: 7+
- Pieces: 388
- Measurements: The island measures over 5 in. (12 cm) high, 9.5 in. (24 cm) wide and 6.5 in. (17 cm) deep
- 6 characters and accessories: The set comes with characters Amy, Tails, Crabmeat, Picky, Pocky, and a Flicky, plus accessories for creative play
- Price: $49.99
LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog Sonic’s Green Hill Zone Loop Challenge
- Ages: 8+
- Pieces: 802
- Measurements: The primary track assembly with loop measures over 8 in. (21 cm) high, 14.5 in. (37 cm) wide, and 7.5 in. (19 cm) deep
- 9 characters and accessories: The set comes with Sonic, Amy, a Flicky, Becky, Pocky, Pecky, Dr. Eggman, plus Badniks Chopper and Newtron and lots of toy accessories for role play
- Price: $99.99
In a statement, LEGO designer Frédéric Roland Andre said that LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog lineup is unlike any LEGO collection released before.
“It really isn’t like anything else!” Roland said. “The sets offer an entirely new, action-packed play experience. I’m especially proud of the Speed Sphere, as it was quite a challenge to figure out how we would get Sonic to speed up and interact with each course. Sonic is known for his speed and how he runs and jumps through courses, so for LEGO sets inspired by him there was no way we could create a static set, we simply had to be creative and make them as action-packed as possible!”
Where to buy the new LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog building sets
All four LEGO Sonic the Hedgehog sets will be available for purchase starting August 1st, 2023, on the LEGO website and in LEGO stores.