Do you know that there’s a version of Amazon Prime for students? Prime Student is an Amazon Prime promotion and membership program created specifically for higher education students. Prime Student is cheaper than the standard Amazon Prime subscription, so if you’re currently in college and want to enjoy Amazon Prime benefits at a discounted price, here’s everything you need to know about Prime Student.
How much does Amazon Prime Student cost?
Prime Student has a membership fee of USD 7.49 per month or USD 69 per year. For comparison, the standard Amazon Prime subscription costs USD 14.99 per month or USD 139 per year. This makes the Amazon Prime Student discount 50%.
It’s worth noting, however, that Amazon Student members must pay tax on their discounted Prime membership if they live in Arizona, California, Florida, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, or Wisconsin.
What are the benefits of Amazon Prime Student membership?
Aside from the discounted membership fee, new Amazon Prime Student members also get a 6-month trial of Amazon Prime courtesy of Sprint. This means that they will only start paying a subscription fee after enjoying the service for free for 6 months.
The Amazon Prime Student membership also comes with a lot of other benefits. These Amazon Prime Student perks include the following:
- Fast, Free Delivery on millions of items
- Exclusive deals for student members from top brands
- 30-minute early access to select Lightning Deals
- Unlimited streaming of thousands of movies and shows on Prime Video
- Access to more than two million songs on Amazon Music Prime
- Access to Amazon Music Unlimited for just $5.99 per month
- Free unlimited photo storage on Amazon Photos
- Exclusives and free in-game loot on Prime Gaming
- Ultrafast grocery delivery from Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market (in select cities)
- Free 3 months of Calm, the number one app for sleep and meditation
- Free 1 month of Course Hero, an online learning platform with more than 20 million course-specific documents shared by a community of students and educators
- Free 3-month trial of Audible Premium Plus, which lets Prime Student members choose three titles to keep while also being able to listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and even textbooks whenever they choose
- $0.99 per month up to 1 year for the following Prime Video channels: Showtime, MGM+ (formerly Epix), allblk, MOTORTREND, Shudder, AcornTV, History Vault, Lifetime Movie Club, Sundance Now, PBS Documentaries, and The Coda Collection
- Amazon Prime Student offers 10% off flights, 10% back on hotels as an Amazon Gift Card post-trip, and free premium customer support with every booking with StudentUniverse
- Other special Amazon deals
How to join Prime Student
To sign up for Prime Student:
- Go to the Prime Student sign-up page.
- Choose the verification method that best suits you (age verification or student status verification).
- For age verification, you only need to submit proof of your age, such as your passport, driving license or identity card.
- For student status verification, you can:
- Complete and submit the sign-up form.
- Use your .edu email address.
- Submit proof of enrollment such as your student ID, your transcript or class list for the current term, your tuition bill for the current term, or an official acceptance letter for the upcoming term.
Once you have verified your student status, you will be able to start enjoying the benefits of Prime Student.
Are Prime Student members all college students?
Yes. all Prime Student members are college students. Prime Student is exclusive to college students. Elementary and High School students can’t get Amazon Prime Student membership. Click this button below to join Prime Student.
Is Amazon Prime Student only for 4 years?
Yes. Prime Student has a four-year limit. After four years or after your graduation year (whichever comes first), your Prime Student plan will convert to a regular Amazon Prime membership. Even if you have a valid student ID for more than four years, once you have enjoyed your Prime Student membership for four years, your existing Prime Student subscription will lapse and change into a standard Prime subscription at the end of the default four-year membership.
How do I keep Prime Student after 4 years?
While there’s no official way of continuing Prime Student after its four-year limit, you may try a Prime Student extension hack by creating a new Amazon Prime account or profile and starting afresh with your student ID, proof of enrollment, and an edu email address.
What is the difference between Prime Student and Amazon Prime?
Prime Student members and Amazon Prime members enjoy the same benefits in general. But there are a few differences between the two services that are worth noting:
Cost and free trial period
As mentioned above, Amazon’s Prime Student costs USD 7.49 per month or USD 69 per year — that’s half the price of Amazon Prime, which costs USD 14.99 per month or USD 139 per year. Additionally, the Prime Student program offers 6 months free trial, while the standard Prime membership only offers a 30-day free trial.
Ability to rent textbooks
Renting textbooks is a Prime Student exclusive. Unlike Amazon Prime members, Prime Student members can rent textbooks.
While Prime Student and Amazon Prime members can both save money from Amazon Coupons, Prime Student subscribers have their own discount section called College Deals. These give them discounts on electronics, video games, snacks, dorm supplies, beauty items, and many more.
Amazon Mom is an exclusive benefit for Amazon Prime subscribers. Unlike Prime Student members, Amazon Prime subscribers have access to Amazon Mom perks, which include 20% off diaper subscriptions and 15% off baby registry items, among many others.
In the past, benefits received through Prime Student could be shared. Now, that feature is exclusive to Amazon Prime subscribers. An Amazon Prime member can create an Amazon Household to share benefits and a Family Library with another adult, up to four teens, and up to four children.
How to get access to Prime
To get access to Prime you must sign up for a membership on Amazon’s website or mobile app.
Is Amazon Prime free?
No. Amazon Prime is not free. It is a paid subscription service that offers a wide variety of perks, including free 2-day shipping on most items sold by Amazon, among many others.
How much does Amazon Prime membership cost?
As previously mentioned, the regular Prime membership costs USD 14.99 per month or USD 139 per year. As an Amazon Prime member, you receive numerous shipping, shopping, streaming, and reading benefits from Amazon.
Amazon Prime 30-day free trial
While Amazon Prime isn’t free, anyone who hasn’t been an Amazon Prime member in the last 12 months can sign up for Amazon Prime again to take advantage of its 30-day free trial and enjoy all the same benefits as paid members.
Are Amazon Prime movies free?
Prime Video benefits are included with a membership to Amazon Prime. So, if you’re already a Prime member, you can watch hundreds of movies, as well as TV series, on your favorite devices for free.
Want to watch films and TV shows on Prime Video but don’t want to subscribe to Amazon Prime? You can sign up separately for Prime Video for just $8.99 per month.
Can Amazon Prime movies be downloaded?
Yes. Amazon Prime movies can be downloaded. To download films for offline viewing, you need a Fire tablet, or the Prime Video app for iOS, Android, macOS, or Windows 10. To download movies, simply open the app on your device, and find the title you want to download.
Does Amazon Prime have Hindi movies?
Yes. Amazon Prime offers a wide selection of Hindi movies via Prime Video. Hindi movies that are part of the streamer’s library include Jayeshbhai Jordaar, KGF: Part 2, Pushpa, Heropanti 2, Sharma Ji Namkeen, Jalsa, Gehraiyaan, and Runway 34.
Does Amazon Prime Video have Lord of the Rings?
As of June 2023, the Lord of the Rings trilogy — Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002), and The Return of the King (2003) — are not streaming on Amazon Prime Video. But digital copies of the films are available for purchase on Amazon Instant Video.
The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy includes extended editions of the three The Lord of the Rings movies directed by Peter Jackson.
The Hobbit trilogy — An Unexpected Journey (2012), The Desolation of Smaug (2013), and The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) — which basically serves as a prequel to the Lord of the Rings film series are also not available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video. But the new TV series The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, which premiered in September 2022, is part of the platform’s library.
Amazon Prime family plan
Amazon Prime family plan is popularly known as Amazon Household. As mentioned above, an Amazon Prime member can create an Amazon Household to share Prime benefits and a Family Library with another adult, up to four teens, and up to four children.
Both adults (aged 18 and over) in an Amazon Household have their separate Amazon accounts. They share select benefits and digital content using Family Library. They can also manage the profiles of teens (ages 13 through 17) and children (ages 12 and below) in the Amazon Household. Teens in the Amazon Household can have their own Amazon login to shop or stream content while still keeping their parents informed. Children’s accounts, on the other hand, don’t have a shopping feature to avoid accidental purchases.
People in an Amazon Household can enjoy all the benefits of Prime like Prime Video streaming, Prime Photos, complimentary access to Twitch channels, and free two-day shipping. Some benefits, however, cannot be shared. These non-shareable benefits include Prime Music, Prime Reading, Kindle First, and discounts on video games and purchased video add-ons.
Is it always free shipping with Amazon Prime?
Yes. All shipping is free with Amazon Prime. Amazon Prime subscribers get unlimited free two-day shipping on eligible items with no minimum spend.
How to unsubscribe from Amazon Prime
There are a few ways to unsubscribe from Amazon Prime. You can do it online, by phone, or by mail.
To unsubscribe online:
- Go to the Amazon website and sign in to your account.
- Click on the “Your Account” tab.
- Under “Memberships & Subscriptions,” click on “Manage Prime.”
- Scroll down to the “End Membership” section and click on “End Membership.”
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete your cancellation.
To unsubscribe by phone:
- Call Amazon customer service at 1-888-280-4331.
- Tell the customer service representative that you want to cancel your Amazon Prime membership.
- Follow the instructions of the customer service representative to complete your cancellation.