Want to watch the 2023 movie The Holdovers without heading to the theaters? Well, you’re in luck, because your ticket to laughter and tears is just a couple of scrolls away. Continue reading below to find out how you can stream the Alexander Payne-directed film from the comfort of your couch.
What is The Holdovers movie about?
The Holdovers is a comedy-drama film that centers around Paul Hunham (Paul Giamatti), a grumpy classics professor at a prestigious New England boarding school. Set during the Christmas break of 1970, he’s forced to stay on campus when a few students, each with their own reasons, can’t go home.
Here’s a breakdown of the key plot points:
- Unlikely bonds: Paul reluctantly connects with Angus Tully (Dominic Sessa), a troubled but brilliant student, and Mary Lamb (Da’Vine Joy Randolph), the school’s head cook who recently lost her son in Vietnam.
- Personal struggles: Each character grapples with their own demons and disappointments, leading to moments of humor and vulnerability.
- Growth and redemption: As the characters spend time together, they learn to face their challenges and find unexpected solace in their shared experiences.
- Coming-of-age: The film explores themes of disillusionment, family relationships, and finding one’s place in the world.
The Holdovers trailer
To get a sneak peek at the movie, you can watch the official trailer for The Holdovers below:
When did The Holdovers open in theaters?
The Holdovers had a slightly unusual theatrical release schedule:
- Limited Release: It received a limited release in select theaters on October 27, 2023. This gave critics and audiences a chance to see the film early and generate some buzz.
- Wider Release: It had a wider release in more theaters across the United States on November 10, 2023, making it available to a larger audience.
Is The Holdovers streaming on Peacock?
Yes, as of January 9, 2024, The Holdovers is streaming on Peacock. It landed on the platform on December 29, 2023, and is available to watch with any Peacock subscription tier.
How to watch The Holdovers online for free
Peacock offers a 7-day free trial of its Premium tier, which would allow you to watch The Holdovers during that period. However, remember to cancel before the trial ends to avoid being charged.
If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you might have access to a free trial of their Cinema channel, which sometimes offers new releases like The Holdovers. Be sure to check if it’s included before signing up.
Is The Holdovers worth watching?
Whether The Holdovers is worth watching depends on your personal preferences and what you enjoy in a film. Here’s a breakdown of some pros and cons to help you decide whether you’ll give it a try.
- Critical Acclaim: The film received positive reviews for its heartwarming story, strong performances, and exploration of human connection. As of January 9, 2024, it currently holds a 96% score on Rotten Tomatoes based on over 280 reviews, and has garnered recognitions including two awards at the 81st Golden Globe Awards for Best Supporting Actress (Da’Vine Joy Randolph) and Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy (Paul Giamatti).
- Character-Driven Drama: If you enjoy movies that focus on character development and relationships, The Holdovers offers nuanced portrayals of individuals facing personal struggles and finding unexpected connections.
- Nostalgic Charm: The 1970s setting creates a unique atmosphere and the film has been praised for its authentic and detailed period recreation.
- Slow Pace: Some viewers might find the film’s pacing a bit slow and deliberate, especially compared to fast-paced action or comedy genres.
- Limited Action: The film is primarily dialogue-driven with minimal action sequences, so if you’re seeking high-octane thrills, The Holdovers might not be the best choice.
- Mature Themes: While not inappropriate, the film deals with adult themes like grief, disappointment, and family issues, so it might not be suitable for all audiences.
Overall, The Holdovers is a well-made, thought-provoking film with strong performances and a heartwarming story. However, it’s important to consider its slower pace and mature themes before diving in.