Did you know that the 1978 film Grease has a prequel? Yes, the classic movie starring John Travolta as Danny Zuko and Olivia Newton-John as Sandy Olsson has a prequel series called Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies. The prequel premiered in April 2023, and if you haven’t seen it yet, this article will give you an overview of what it’s all about and where you can watch it online.
What is Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies about?
Created by Annabel Oakes, Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies is a musical romantic comedy-drama television series that serves as a prequel to the 1978 film Grease, which is based on the stage musical of the same name by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey.
Season 1 of Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies takes place in 1954, four years before the events of the original movie. It follows four fed-up and outcast students who band together to bring out the moral panic that will change Rydell High forever and become the founding mothers of the first high school girl gang, known as the Pink Ladies.
Who are the cast of Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies?
The main cast of Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies are:
- Marisa Davila as Jane Facciano: A founding member of the Pink Ladies. She is the first female student to run for class president and the older sister of Fran “Frenchy” Facciano.
- Cheyenne Isabel Wells as Olivia Valdovinos: Another founding member of the Pink Ladies. She is the younger sister of T-Bird member, Richie.
- Ari Notartomaso as Cynthia Zdunowski: A tomboyish student who wanted to be a T-Bird before becoming a founding member of the Pink Ladies.
- Tricia Fukuhara as Nancy Nakagawa: An aspiring fashion designer and founding member of the Pink Ladies.
- Shanel Bailey as Hazel Robertson: A shy student who ends up taking on the role of Juliet in the school play Romeo and Juliet.
- Madison Thompson as Susan St. Clair: A member of Rydell High’s Dance Committee and Buddy’s ex-girlfriend.
- Johnathan Nieves as Richie Valdovinos: A member of the T-Birds and one of Jane’s two love interests. He is Olivia’s older brother.
- Jason Schmidt as Buddy Aldridge: A student from a prominent family. He is Jane’s other love interest.
- Nicholas McDonough as Gil Rizzo: A member of the T-Birds and older brother of Betty.
- Jackie Hoffman as Asst. Principal McGee: The assistant principal of Rydell High School.
Recurring cast members of the series include Chris McNally as Mr. Leonard Daniels, Charlotte Kavanagh as Rosemary, Josette Halpert as Dorothy “Dot”, Maximo Weber Salas as Edward “Shy Guy”, Alexis Sides as “Potato”, Maxwell Whittington-Cooper as Wally Winslow, Niamh Wilson as Lydia, Madison Elizabeth Lagares as Fran “Frenchy” Facciano, Emma Shannon as Betty Rizzo, and Victor Lau as Floyd.
Where to watch Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies online?
Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies aired from April 6, 2023, to June 1, 2023, on Paramount+. The series, however, is no longer available on the streaming service.
Unfortunately for Grease fans, the series is currently not available for streaming on any video-on-demand platforms in the United States, not even on Amazon Prime Video.
Can you buy or rent Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies online?
Is Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies worth watching?
Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies has been praised for its diverse cast and its positive portrayal of female friendship. However, it has been criticized for its lack of originality and its reliance on stereotypes. If you’re interested in learning more about the Pink Ladies and their history, then you may want to give the prequel series a try. However, if you’re not a fan of the original film or musicals, then you may want to skip it.
Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies trailer
Curious about Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies? You can watch its official trailer below:
Will there be a season 2 of Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies?
No, Paramount+ opted not to renew Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies for a second season. The series was canceled just days after its season 1 finale and was removed from Paramount+ following the cancellation. It is believed that the series did not attract a large enough audience to warrant a second season.