Attention Disney fans and Dole Whip enthusiasts! Get ready to ditch those long lines at Disneyland and Disney World, your favorite pineapple soft-serve is finally coming to a grocery store near you. That’s right, there’s no need to book a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth just to satisfy your cravings for the iconic Disney treat, as Dole recently announced that you will soon be able to find it in the freezer aisle at your local grocery store.
When will Disney’s Dole Whip be available at grocery stores?
On March 3rd, 2023, Dole announced that Dole Whip will make its grocery store launch later this year. The company did not give an exact release date for the launch and did not say which retailers would be selling the tropical frozen treat. But it did reveal that the beloved dessert will be available in three delicious flavors: pineapple, mango, and strawberry.
Dole Whip’s grocery store launch is one of the company’s planned 11 product launches for 2023. Aside from Dole Whip, other Dole products launching this year include sustainably produced dehydrated pineapple and banana bites called Dole Good Crunch, and Dole Wiggles Fruit Juice Gels, a wholesome and nutritious take on the classic treat crafted with 100% fruit juice.
While Dole Whip has yet to make its debut in grocery stores, a soft-serve mix version of the product is already available online at Amazon.
What is Disney Dole Whip made of?
Disney’s Dole Whip is made with a combination of pineapple juice, non-dairy creamer, and sugar. The exact recipe is a closely guarded secret, but it is known that the dessert is gluten-free, vegan, and does not contain any dairy products. It has a creamy texture, and fruity flavor, and is typically served in a swirl or as a float with pineapple juice.
Different flavors of Dole Whip
Who invented Disney Dole Whip?
Dole Whip was developed at the Dole Technical Center in San Jose, California by a food scientist named Kathy Westphal, who joined the company shortly after graduating from the University of California, Davis. At the time, Dole was serving vanilla soft-serve ice cream topped with pineapples at a booth in Disney World. Westphal was tasked to create a dry-mix version of the dessert that was non-dairy and could withstand Florida’s hot climate.
“I had a lot of ice cream experience, so it was a real easy leap,” Westphal herself told SFGATE in June 2022, noting that the dessert’s original flavors were just pineapple, orange, and strawberry.
According to William Goldfield, the director of corporate communications at Dole Food Company, Dole Whip was introduced to the market in 1983 as a dairy-free, fruit-based dessert under the name “Dole Pineapple Whip”. The dessert was first launched at Disney World’s Magic Kingdom Park in 1984 and then made its debut at Disneyland Park in 1986.
Forty years after Dole Whip’s creation, Westphal could still believe at how popular the dessert has become. She’s even calling it the “Rodney Dangerfield of frozen dessert because no one respected it” during its first few years. But she’s now happy with how the public has come to embrace it.
“It cracks me up that Dole Whip is a big deal now which is kind of fun,” Westphal told SFGATE. “I think it’s great; it’s a treat. My brother always tells everyone that his sister gets to eat for a living, and it’s great giving pleasure to people.”
Where do you get Disney Dole Whip?
As mentioned above, Dole Whip is available at Disney World and Disneyland. It is sold in different varieties and flavors at several restaurants, cafes, snack stands, and food kiosks in both Disney Parks. Below is a list of places at Disneyland and Disney World where you can get Dole Whip and other snacks and refreshments made with the fan-favorite frozen dessert, according to WDW Magazine and Disney Food Blog.
- Tiki Juice Bar: It offers Dole Whip Pineapple Soft Serve and Dole Whip Float.
- The Tropical Hideaway: It serves Dole Whip, Dole Whip Swirl, Dole Whip Float, and Dole Whip Swirl Float.
- The Disneyland Hotel: The pool has a walk-up Quick Service called Tangaroa Terrace that offers Dole Whips and floats.
Disney World – Magic Kingdom
- Aloha Isle: It offers Pineapple Float, Raspberry Swirl Float, Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, Pineapple Dole Whip Cup, Coconut Cup, Raspberry Cup, and Raspberry Swirl Cup.
- Sunshine Tree Terrace: Its menu includes Dole Whip Orange Cup, Orange Cream Soft-Serve Cup, Dole Whip Strawberry Cup, I Lava You Float, Sparkling Sunshine, Barq’s Root Beer Float, Coca-Cola Float, Diet Coke Float, Fanta Orange Float, Fanta Strawberry Float, Powerade Mountain Berry Blast Float, and Sprite Float.
- Storybook Treats: It serves Snow White Cone, a frozen dessert made with Dole Whip Lemon, Blue Cone, Chocolate Bird, and Sugar Bow.
Disney World – EPCOT
- Refreshment Outpost: It sells Dole Whip in a waffle cone in three varieties: Watermelon, Pineapple, and Swirl.
Disney World – Animal Kingdom
- Tamu Tamu Refreshments: It offers Scar’s Lair, Simba Sunset, Dole Whip Pineapple Float, Dole Whip Pineapple Cup, Lion’s Lair, King’s Cooler, Dole Whip Pineapple Cup with Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, and Dole Whip Pineapple Float with Parrot Bay Coconut Rum.
- Trilo–Bites: It serves Trilo-Bites Twist, a frozen dessert made with Dole Whip Orange and vanilla soft-serve ice cream.
Disney World – Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
Dole Whip pineapple float at Pineapple Lanai | Credit: Walt Disney World / Instagram
- Pineapple Lanai: Its dessert menu includes 50th Celebration Dole Whip Pineapple, 50th Celebration Dole Whip Lime, Dole Whip soft-serve, Dole Whip with rum floater, and Pineapple Float.
- Barefoot Pool Bar & Oasis Bar & Grill: Both serve Frozen Margarita with Dole Whip Lime, Frosty Pineapple, and The Voyager, a Parrot Bay Coconut Rum blended with Cream of Coconut and Pineapple Juice, layered with Dole Whip Pineapple and Blue Curaçao.
Disney World – Disney’s Boardwalk
- BoardWalk Joe’s Marvelous Margaritas: It offers Captain’s Seaside Sensation — Dole Whip Pineapple Smoothie with Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum
Disney World – Typhoon Lagoon
- Snack Shack: The restaurant serves Hei Hei Cone, Motunui Island Twist, Dole Whip soft-serve, Habanero Lime Galley Shack Swirl
Disney World – Disney Springs
- Swirls on the Water: This establishment offers 50th Celebration Cone, Dole Whip Pineapple Vanilla Nachos, Dole Whip Flight, Dole Whip Float, and Dole Float Alcoholic Float
Is Disney Dole Pineapple Whip alcoholic?
The regular version of Disney’s Dole Whip doesn’t contain alcohol. But as mentioned above, there are several variations of Dole Whip that include alcoholic drinks.
How much is pineapple Dole Whip at Disney World and Disneyland?
The price of Pineapple Dole Whip at Disney Parks starts at around $5.99. This may vary depending on the flavor and other variations.
Pineapple Dole Whip recipe
Although the actual recipe for Disney’s Pineapple Dole Whip is being kept under wraps, Disney Parks Blog, in July 2022, shared a recipe for a dessert inspired by the iconic frozen treat. You can check out Disney’s Dole Whip recipe (copycat) below:
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of pineapple juice
- 2 cups of frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup of dairy-free vanilla ice cream
- In a blender, combine the frozen pineapple, dairy-free vanilla ice cream, and 1/2 cup of pineapple juice.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth. If the mixture is too thick to blend, gradually add 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice at a time until it’s the right consistency.
- Scoop the mixture into bowls and serve immediately.