Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL) is one of the most popular seasonal drinks at Starbucks. Featuring the quintessential flavor of the fall season, the fan-favorite beverage is typically available at the coffeehouse chain from late August or early September to mid-November of every year. But what will you do if you suddenly crave a cup of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte outside of these months? Well, you’re in luck because you can easily make one at home!
What is Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Before we dive into our recipe for homemade Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, it’s important to know what the original beverage is. For those who haven’t tried Starbucks PSL yet, the drink is made with the chain’s signature espresso and steamed milk with the rich flavor combination of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. The iconic fall sip comes complete with whipped cream and real pumpkin-pie spices on top.
How much is Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte?
The price of the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte varies depending on the cup size and location of the store. Below are the price points for each size, as of June 5th, 2023:
- Tall: $5.45 – $5.95
- Grande: $6.25 – $6.95
- Venti: $6.95 – $7.65
When will Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte return?
Starbucks has not yet announced the official return date of its Pumpkin Spice Latte this 2023. However, based on previous years, it is likely to return in late August or early September. In 2022, the PSL returned on August 30th.
When did Starbucks first introduce Pumpkin Spice Latte?
The Pumpkin Spice Latte was first released by Starbucks in the fall of 2003. Peter Dukes, the former director of espresso Americas at Starbucks, is credited with inventing the Pumpkin Spice Latte. He and his team developed the drink in January 2003, following the successful introduction of the chain’s winter seasonal drinks such as the Peppermint Mocha and Eggnog Latte. They experimented with different combinations and ratios of pumpkin to spice, ultimately deciding on a recipe with no real pumpkin in it. Since its debut run, the beverage has quickly become a popular seasonal favorite.
How to order Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks
To order Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte, you can either do it in person or through the Starbucks app. Here are the steps on how to order it in person:
- Stand in line and wait for your turn to order.
- When it’s your turn, tell the barista that you would like a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- Specify if you want it hot or iced.
- If you have any special requests, such as a different size or type of milk, let the barista know.
- Pay for your drink and enjoy!
Here are the steps on how to order a Pumpkin Spice Latte through the Starbucks app:
- Open the Starbucks app and sign in or create an account.
- Tap on the “Order” button.
- In the search bar, type “Pumpkin Spice Latte” and tap on the result.
- Select the size and type of milk you want.
- Tap on the “Add to Order” button.
- Review your order and tap on the “Pay” button.
- Pick up your drink at the store.
Is Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte healthy?
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is not considered to be a healthy beverage, as it is high in calories, sugar, and fat. A Grande Pumpkin Spice Latte with 2% milk and whipped cream has 390 calories, 50 grams of sugar, and 14 grams of fat. This is equivalent to about 20% of the daily recommended calorie intake for an adult.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative to a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, one of the few options available is to make your own Pumpkin Spice Latte at home using healthier ingredients, such as almond milk, unsweetened pumpkin puree, and spices. You can also try a non-dairy Pumpkin Spice Latte from a coffee shop that offers healthier options.
How to make a copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte at home
Want to make your own version of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte at home? Below is an easy-to-follow Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe:
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
- 2 shots of espresso (or 1/2 cup strong coffee)
- 1 cup milk (whole milk, 2% milk, almond milk, or soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree or pumpkin syrup or pumpkin sauce
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla syrup
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Ground cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it is warm.
- Add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract to the milk. Stir until the pumpkin puree is melted and the spices are dissolved.
- Pour the espresso or coffee into a mug.
- Pour the milk mixture into the mug with the espresso or coffee.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with whipped cream and ground cinnamon, if desired.
To make your homemade version of Pumpkin Spice Latte healthier, you can do the following:
- Use almond milk or soy milk instead of whole milk.
- Use sugar-free pumpkin pie spice.
- Use a sugar-free vanilla extract.
- Use fat-free whipped cream.
- Omit the ground cinnamon.
- For a stronger pumpkin flavor, use more pumpkin puree.
- For a sweeter latte, add more sugar or sugar substitute to the milk mixture.
- For a frothier latte, use a milk frother to froth the milk before adding it to the mug.
- To make a pumpkin spice latte with a caffeine boost, add an extra shot of espresso or coffee.
What are the benefits of making a homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte?
There are many advantages to making a homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte. Here are a few:
- It’s cheaper. A Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks can cost upwards of $5. Making it at home can cost as little as $2.
- It’s healthier. Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes are loaded with sugar and calories. As mentioned above a grande Pumpkin Spice Latte has 390 calories and 50 grams of sugar. A homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte can be made with healthier ingredients, such as almond milk, sugar-free pumpkin pie spice, and fat-free whipped cream.
- It’s more customizable. You can make your homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte to your own taste. Want more pumpkin flavor? Add more pumpkin puree. Want a sweeter latte? Increase the amount of sugar or sugar substitute. Want a frothier latte? Use a milk frother to froth the milk before adding it to the mug.
- It’s more fun. There’s something about making your own coffee drinks that just feels more fun than ordering them from a coffee shop. Plus, it’s a great way to get creative in the kitchen.
If you’re looking for a delicious, affordable, and healthy way to enjoy a Pumpkin Spice Latte, making it at home is the way to go!