Indiana Jones 5, a.k.a. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, finally opened in theaters on June 30, 2023 – 15 years after the release of the fourth movie in the action-adventure franchise. Indiana Jones 5 is competing with a number of other big-budget releases at the box office, so a lot of fans are wondering whether or not the film has managed to rise to the top like its predecessors. Read on to find out how well Indiana Jones 5 is performing at the box office.
Indiana Jones 5 Opening Weekend Box-Office Performance
Indiana Jones 5, which costs nearly $300 million to produce, had a disappointing start at the box office. The film opened to $60 million in its opening weekend in the United States. This is significantly lower than the opening weekend of the previous Indiana Jones film, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which opened to $100 million in 2008.
There were a number of factors that likely contributed to the weak box-office opening performance of Indiana Jones 5. First, the film has received mixed reviews from critics, and some fans have expressed concerns about the movie’s age-appropriateness. Additionally, as mentioned above, the film is currently competing with a number of other big-budget releases at the box office, including Elemental, Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, The Little Mermaid, and The Flash.
Can Indiana Jones 5 still become a blockbuster hit?
Yes, it’s possible that Indiana Jones 5 can overcome its weak box-office opening performance and eventually become a blockbuster hit. For one, the Indiana Jones franchise has a strong international following, so the film is expected to perform well in overseas markets.
In fact, the movie’s box-office performance on July 3 showed some great signs of life. According to Box Office Mojo, Indiana Jones 5 earned $12 million at the domestic box office on Monday. As pointed out by ComicBook.com, that one-day total is on par with the first Monday performances from films like Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Thor: Love and Thunder.
Indy 5’s box-office success on Monday has a lot to do with the 4th of July holiday. The holiday itself fell on Tuesday, so Monday was a de facto day off for many, as the day sat between the weekend and Independence Day. With Tuesday being a holiday, the movie is expected to post amazing box-office numbers that day.
According to ComicBook.com, Indy 5’s box-office success on Monday could be the beginning of a long run for the movie to overcome its weak opening weekend and become a major win at the box office, just like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
What is Indiana Jones 5 about?
Directed by James Mangold, Indiana Jones 5 is set in 1969. It follows Indiana Jones and his estranged goddaughter Helena Shaw as they try to locate a device that could change the course of history before Jürgen Voller, a Nazi-turned-NASA scientist, can take it for himself and change the outcome of World War II.
Who is in Indiana Jones 5?
Here are the main cast members of Indiana Jones 5 and the respective characters they play in the movie:
- Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones: An aging archaeologist and professor who is still as adventurous as ever.
- Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Helena Shaw: Indiana’s estranged goddaughter who joins him on his latest adventure. She is described as “slippery, charming, the girl next door, a grifter,” a “pioneer in ethical accounting” and similar to comedic characters with “machine-gun” dialogue akin to those of Ben Hecht’s plays.
- Mads Mikkelsen as Jurgens Voller: A former Nazi scientist who is now working for NASA. He is the main villain of the film.
- Antonio Banderas as Renaldo: An old friend of Indiana who operates as an expert frogman
- John Rhys-Davies as Sallah, Indiana’s old friend and ally who is always willing to help him out. He now works as a cab driver.
- Toby Jones Basil Shaw: An Oxford professor of archaeology and an ally of Jones from his days in World War II. He is obsessed over the titular Dial.
- Boyd Holbrook as Colonel Dodgson: A ruthless mercenary who is working for Jurgens.
- Ethann Isidore as Jock Lindsey: Helena’s young Moroccan sidekick in Tangier
Indiana Jones 5 trailer
Check out the official trailer for the movie below:
Indiana Jones 5 review
Reviews for Indiana Jones 5 have been mixed, with some critics commending the film’s action sequences and humor, and others criticizing its story and pacing.
As of July 4, 2023, on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 69% approval rating based on 334 reviews, with an average rating of 6.4/10. The website’s critics consensus reads, “It isn’t as thrilling as earlier adventures, but the nostalgic rush of seeing Harrison Ford back in action helps Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny find a few final bits of cinematic treasure.”
Is Indiana Jones 5 the last one?
Yes, Indiana Jones 5 will be the last movie in the franchise. Harrison Ford confirmed earlier this year that the film will be his last performance as Indiana Jones.
In an interview with GQ in May 2023, Ford, 80, said that he felt that Indiana Jones 5 was a “good way to end the franchise” and that he was “tired” of the physical demands of the role.